Sunday, March 8, 2009

I read a fascinating article about a year ago from the Atlantic Monthly called Is Google Making Us Stupid?. Nicholas Carr candidly admitted an increasing inability to concentrate for very long while reading. It got me to thinking about my own tendencies. I too, have been experiencing something eerily similar to Carr's own difficulties in concentration. Like him, after a few pages in the best of books, I become antsy and lose attention. I close the book, get up, do something else, and try to refocus. I flip through a few pages and ask myself "how long is this chapter?" Fifteen minutes later it happens again.
Contrast this with my own wife who can sit through Dickens, Bronte, Austen, or Eliot for hours on end.
Carr spends much time on-line doing research for his own calling. So do I. We both see the sirens luring us into the rocks. Information is cut and pasted in short bites, with little proof or "unnecessary" detail, uncluttered by evidence, and loaded with bright colors and images.
Yep, Bright lights, big city.
And it's turning my brain to mush.
I'm beginning to understand what my students go through when they open works which they are cordially demanded to absorb. And although I have adjusted to life on the web, they have grown up with it and have been (mal)nourished by it.
Carr's gut reaction (and that of others he has spoken with) is that our brains are actually being rewired in ways that change the way we think and process information. His article reminded me of an updated version of Neil Postman's classic Amusing Ourselves to Death.
Now, of course, I know that there are some procedural methods of ensuring that our students don't overuse the web in research - limit the number of internet sources, teach them how to identify evidence, and how to think critically. Beyond these, how do we help our students and ourselves to renew rather than rewire their minds from the dangers of the google monster?

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! I was just telling ... oh look, a squirrel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay wait....I was about to comment but I am stuck laughing at Jailers comment.

    "Is google making us stupid?" Amazing how technology is so incredibly useful and so depended on (and I would be lost without my gadgets) and yet it is making us think less and less.
    I remember when I could spout off any 50 different phone numbers and addresses of friends, relatives, and aquaintances from memory and now I am hard pressed to remember my own number because of the ease of my cellular contacts list.

    I was reading a web article the other day about this "new" tech device that they say will erase the need of ever having a printed book again. Aparently it holds volumes of books in its PDA style design that people can carry around with ease.
    But that makes me panic and grieve. For me, so much of the joys of getting lost in a good book has to do with the crisp pages, the smells of the binding, and even the weight of the book itself lends to the journey and adventure unfolding before my minds eye.

    But still, are we being re-wired? I think so. I know that the seasons when I don't read so much...it is harder to stay involved with a book. I see a definite relation in myself.
    Everything we do now a days seems to be wired for a short term frame of mind. News and magazine articles are shorter, tv shows are short and have to change the setting every few minutes or we loose interest. Al lthings that the youth do in their lives now seems to be short and quick, driven by games and songs that shoot adrenaline and stimulation in quick bursts.

    I really can see a big difference in my sunday school children as I look at them now in comparison to the ones I taught 10 years ago. As a teacher I have to think differently to get points and goals across.

    Wow I am now from a generation that sees things differently! I have to work at relating to the youth now more than I used to. Yikes!

    Blessings to you today my firned.

    ReplyDelete