Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Welcome to Jesus and Clio!

First, thanks to Jailer for introducing me to this particular Blog format - much more user friendly than my previous blog and hopefully, it will generate much more discussion than the other. I'll be learning as I go and welcome your feedback as we grow. This blog is designed as a forum for Christian teachers, public and private who want to interact with other teachers in any of the myriad disciplines that are part of our educational system - anywhere in the world! Primarily, my discipline has been History but this forum is welcome to any and all who share the vision of Christian teachers who want to encourage and sharpen one another in our calling to train the next generation of Christian citizens and lovers of Jesus Christ. Originally, my vision came out of my isolation. At my previous school (Pine Castle Christian Academy, Orlando) I taught alongside only two other high school teachers. Now, I am one of only two social studies teachers who manage the entire social studies curriculum for the middle and high school grades. I often wonder if there is anyone else out there who feels as isolated as I have for the past three years. I've looked for a venue to share ideas, frustrations, snippets of what I've been reading, and have found nothing really for anyone in the social studies arena. So, here it is. Still, I'd like to emphasize that this blog isn't limited to scholars in my discipline. If you have a heart for God, for your students, and for honest scholarship this is the place for you. Sure, there are organizations such as the NCSS and many Christians are a part of them, but there is nothing that truly allows Christian teachers to network informally. So, if there is anyone out there, help me end the isolation and in true koinonia, use this forum to strengthen each other. Each of us has strengths, gifts, insights, and experiences that we can all profit from to make ourselves better scholars and better disciples of our Lord. So, if you have insights to share, this forum is for you! Let's hear from you!One of the first entires I'll be making in the very near future will deal with Christian historiography. What does it really mean to be a Christian and a historian? What are the opportunities and dangers inherent in a Christian interpretation of history?More to come on that!
Oh, by the way, Clio was the Greek muse of History. Imagine that! We have our very own muse. Very cool! And we intend to keep her.

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to Blogger, my friend! I look forward to following your blog closely.

    ReplyDelete